Monday, May 17, 2010

Muddy Buddy

On Sunday, May 16 my best friend and I completed a Muddy Buddy competition which is put on by Competitor Group. You ask, what is a Muddy Buddy? Here is the web-sites explanation:

Muddy Buddy is all about having fun with a friend, family member, partner or co-worker! Teams of two traverse a 6-7 mile off-road course and 5 obstaclesAt the start of the race, one team member will run and one will ride the bike. At the 1st obstacle, the rider will drop the bike, complete the obstacle, and begin running. The runner will arrive, complete the obstacle, find their bike and begin riding. Teams will continue leapfrogging each other through out the entire course.

At the end of the race, racers crawl through the infamous Mud Pit crossing the finish line together as official "Muddy Buddies"!

Ok, this was the most and absolute difficult race I have ever done. It is all trail running and trail biking. Lots of rocks, steep inclines and steep decline. There are trails that are pretty much slippery mud and the trails are mainly up hill for most of the race. Did I mention all the rocks?

I rode the bike first and Linda ran, so I started before she did. I thought, this is so easy and loved the first leg. I was way ahead in my pace and got so much adrenalin off of the up and down hills.

At the first switch off, we had to climb a mock rock wall and climb down a rope ladder on the other side. I had never done this before. I did it no problem at all. Then my run started. It wasn’t bad but extremely tiring. The whole time you have to carefully watch where you are stepping because of the uneven paths and rocks and branches, etc.

The second switch off, we had to climb a rope to get to the top of the inflatable slide and slide down. Still, pretty easy. My turn to then ride the bike again. I came up to a super huge and I mean huge decline that was all rock. I stopped and tried to walk the bike down….didn’t happen
.
The bike took me running down. I wound up letting go of the bike and jumping to safety and landed on my feet!

Third switch off, we had to walk two balance beams length to length. If we fell, we had to get back up and try again. I got up, began to walk sideways and balance which by the way was super hard because I was getting exhausted at this point. A girl beside me almost fell and grabbed my arm. She then held onto me and said “let’s go.” We ran across the beams holding each other hands. Who knew this would be so efficient?

My run, this part was all winding up hill on a muddy path. Oh my gosh….so exhausting. I walked so much of this. I was also so glad Linda was on the bike at this point because she is much stronger and driven than I am.

Fourth switch, we had to crawl under a heavy rope net on astro-turf literally on our stomachs. This was so hard because I had to use all my upper body strength to get me through. I had what felt like zero energy at this point.

Got on the bike and rode the rest of the leg down to where my buddy was waiting for me at the mud pit ( we had to do this together ). This was awesome because it was up hill but then a seriously huge down hill minus the rocks. I loved this part!

Got to the mud pit, crawled our hands and knees to complete the race in 1:08. The whole course was 5.7 miles but it was super, super tough. Can’t wait till next year!

Here are a few pics we took. We were "Swine Flew By You". Will post official race pics once I get them.