Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Whine Run 8K

Kami, Linda, Jenny

Well, I did my first race 09/07/2009 and it was fantastic.

I’ve been running (somewhat) since 1987. My reasoning for running as my form of exercise was that I could not afford a gym member ship nor did I want to get into any contracts that would bind me into a payment that I may not be able to afford monthly. So, I ran on the military base or in my neighborhood. I have not been avid though. I have taken lots of breaks from running.

Well, this year, I actually bought a gym member ship. I did not dare to even try the treadmill until encouraged  due to issues with my heart rate going crazy high. Ever since, I have fallen in love with the exercise. I now run outside and have been training for the Rock and Roll San Antonio Marathon coming up in November. I will be running the half marathon of 13.1 miles.

This Monday, I did my first race with my best friend Linda. I did pretty well. I ran an average of 12 minutes per mile and came in at 59.57. Linda (she is the one in the middle of the picture) ran an average of 8.12 minutes per mile. Oh, yes, she is awesome! The route had so many inclines as well and I was told that this was one of the harder races by the pro’s that ran it as well.

After the run, we changed into our commemorative t-shirts and walked over to the main area. We were allotted two glasses of wine or Sangria (I chose the Sangria). We were also given commemorative wine glasses to mark the event.